Italian meringue buttercream
Question. What is Italian meringue buttercream?
Answer. Italian meringue buttercream is very popular buttercream. It is used as a filling to a cake, and/or used to mask a cake. It consists of egg whites, cooked sugar and butter.
About this buttercream
Personally we think this buttercream is one of the best in terms of taste. We give it a 5-star. Same applies for the chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.
Precautions when working with cooked sugar
WARNING: This warning is not meant to scare you, but to keep you alert at all times. Be extremely careful when working with cooked sugar. Along with your mise-en-place, have a metal bowl of very cold ice water on your work station before starting to cook the sugar mixture. If sugar syrup falls on your skin, do NOT try to rub it off with your hand or using a towel. This will remove the syrup and your skin with it. Instead, immerse your hand into the cold ice water bath, and immediately seek immediate medical assistance with your doctor or go to the emergency. The severity of the burn depends on the temperature of the cooked sugar syrup.
cooked sugar syrup.
Note that after about 4 minutes of cooking at medium heat, the temperature of the sugar mixture has reached 107 deg. C.
Italian meringue buttercream demo
Terminologies pertaining to Italian meringue buttercream
In this lesson you will be introduced to the following terminologies;
- Mis en place
- Italian meringue
- Italian meringue buttercream
- Stiff peak
- sugar crystallization
Introduction to Italian meringue butter cream
The first thing you must do before beginning to make this buttercream (besides mise en place) is to soften the butter. It would help if the butter were at room temperature. If the butter is not at room temperature, there are various methods you can use to soften the butter;
- Chop the butter and beat with a mixer using a paddle attachment until softened, as shown in photo below.
- Cover butter in plastic wrap and beat it using a rolling pin.
Key points when making Italian meringue buttercream
- The sugar syrup must be cooked to the proper temperature.
- The egg whites must be beaten to the proper consistency.
- Incorporating the sugar syrup with the eggs whites.
- When to stop mixing the Italian meringue.
- Incorporating the butter into the Italian meringue.
- When to add the flavoring.
- When to stop mixing the buttercream.
- You must stir the sugar with the water before it comes to a boil, so that the sugar will not caramelize and burn at the bottom of the pot.
- We are cooking the sugar 1 degree less than specified in the recipe, to compensate for the time needed to go to the mixer to begin pouring the cooked sugar.
more tips available in our video page...
What is your cost of making buttercream
If you would like to know what your cost is to making Italian meringue buttercream please follow this link.
How to know if the butter cream is ready?
If you are a beginner, you will need to follow a few simple steps in order to get the necessary experience to know when the butter cream is ready.
Please follow this link if you wish to learn how to make Italian meringue butter cream.