Introduction to Galaktobouriko
Question. What is galaktobouriko?
Answer. Galaktobouriko is a traditional Greek custard dessert made with phyllo dough and is flavored with zest of fruit. It may be made in a pan, or rolled into individual pieces, just like tiropitakia. Its name is derived from the words gala (greek for milk) and burek (in Turkish) which means pie.
Ways of making Galaktobouriko
The are various ways you can make Galaktobouriko. One of them is shown above. This is called Bougatsa. It consists of less custard than the regular Galaktobouriko and is not very syrupy. Icing sugar is sprinkled on top. Galaktobouriko can be made in a small pan (6 pieces) or in individual size pieces, as shown below.
Galaktobouriko in a pan
Galaktobouriko individual size pieces
- First, prepare the syrup.
- Pour the sugar and the water into a pot.
- Add the flavorings and lemon juice (to prevent sugar crystallization).
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 1 minute. Allow to cool.
- Next, prepare the pan
- Apply melted butter to the bottom of the pan.
- Place first phyllo dough in the pan and brush with butter.
- Repeat 6 times.
- When done set aside.
- Next, prepare the custard.
- Heat the milk with the sugar.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and simmer until thickened.
- Once semolina mixture is thickened, pour into the pan.
- Fold the edges of each phyllo dough layer over the top of the custard. Brush with butter.
- Repeat for all 6 layers.
- Neatly tuck in the edges all around.
- Cut top layers of phyllo dough into desired size pieces.
- Add remaining butter, if any.
- Bake at 180deg. C (350deg, F) until nicely colored.
- Once done, immediately pour the cold syrup on top.
- Alowl Galaktobouriko to cool.
More info on mixing methods or techniques used in french pastry
About our recipe tables
Sample recipe table
All the recipes in our course are given by weight and percentages. The advantage of having a recipe in percentages is of extreme importance. You can alter the size of the recipe to any size you wish, and most importantly you can make recipe comparisons to notice the effects of ingredients between recipes.
What is your cost of making Galaktobouriko
If you would like to know what your cost is to making Galaktobouriko please follow this link.
Please follow this link in order to view our recipe and step-by-step video instructions on how to make the perfect Galaktobouriko every time