Making flowers using gum paste
Knowing how to work with flower decorations is a must especially if your work involves working on wedding cake, birthday cakes and numerous other occasions.
How to make sugar flowers using gum paste
In this lesson we will teach you how to make all the flowers shown above using gum paste. You may also use rolled fondant if you wish. The only difference between rolled fondant and gum paste is that gum paste dries quicker.
Terminologies relating to this lesson
In this lesson you will be introduced to the following terminologies;
- Gum paste
- Rolled fondant
- Color types; gel, liquid, powder
- Arabic gum
- Tragacanth Gum
Accessories needed to make sugar flowers
With the accessories shown in the pictures above you can decorate quite a large range of cakes for any occasion.
There is a few accessories you will need to make beautiful sugar flowers.
- gum paste
- pasta machine
- leaf and petal cutters
- veiner (gives texture to flower pedals)
- ball tool (to thin out the edge of flower petals)
- plastic sheet (prevents gum paste from drying out)
- egg cartons (to give shape to flower petals)
- Foam pad (for thinning out the edges of flower petals)
- Small non-stick rolling pins.
- Floral tape
Why wedding cakes are so expensive