Cream puff pastry (Pâte à choux)
Secrets to making cream puff pastry batter
The secret to making cream puff pastry is proper testing for perfect batter consistency.
General procedure to follow when making cream puff pastry batter (Pâte à choux batter)
- In a medium-size pot, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, and add flour all at once while continuously stirring vigorously using a wooden spoon.
- Turn heat back on and continue stirring for about a minute or so, or, until a very thin film of batter begins to coat to the bottom of the pot.
- Transfer mixture to a mixer bowl. Beat mixture using paddle attachment until the batter cools off a bit.
- At this point you may start adding the eggs a bit at a time. When the eggs are fully incorporated in the batter, add more egg.
- When about ¾ of the amount of eggs specified by the recipe has been added, test the batter for correct consistency. Testing the batter for correct consistency is crucial especially if you are a beginner and you are using a mixer.
continued in cream puff pastry article