Question. What are butter cookies?
Answer. The french terminology for butter cookies is 'Sablé à la poche'. These are delicious cookies that consist of the following main components; butter, heavy cream, flour, icing sugar and flavoring.
Typical shapes when making butter cookies
Butter cookies demo
In this lesson you will be introduced to the following terminologies;
More info on mixing methods or techniques used in french pastry
About our recipe tables
Sample recipe table
All the recipes in our course are given by weight and percentages. The advantage of having a recipe in percentages is of extreme importance. You can alter the size of the recipe to any size you wish, and most importantly you can make recipe comparisons to notice the effects of ingredients between recipes.
Following proper technique for making the batter for butter cookies (sable a la poche)
- Sift the flour and set aside for now.
- Add the flavoring to the cream or to the egg yolks (if using any), and heat the mixture to 43deg.C (110deg. F).
- Using a paddle attachment, soften the butter.
- Once butter has softened, add the icing sugar and cream the mixture.
- Make sure all ingredients are fully incorporated together by scraping the bowl.
- After 5 minutes, the mixture should be creamy and have a very light pale yellow color.
- Start adding the warm milk mixture, a bit at a time, waiting for it to fully incorporate in the butter mixture, before adding more cream.
- If using eggs, you may add them at this point.
- Add the flour all at once and mix just enough to bind ingredients together.
- Gently pipe the mixture in a pastry bag, using star tip #6.
- Pipe the cookies to any shape desired.
Cookie shape ideas when making butter cookies
Baking the butter cookies
The butter cookies must be baked initially in high heat for the first 10 minutes so the cookies will 'form a skin' and prevent them from spreading, and then at a lower temperature to bake evenly all throughout.
Storing the butter cookies
These cookies store very well in the freezer in an air tight container for at least a couple of months.
Garnishing the cookies
The cookies may be garnished by melting and tempering chocolate couverture of your choice or if you don't know how to temper chocolate, simply use coating chocolate.
What is your cost of making butter cookies
If you would like to know what your cost is to making butter cookies please follow this link.
Please follow this link in order to view our recipe and step-by-step video instructions on how to make the perfect butter cookies every time