Black forest cake
Question. What is black forest cake?
Answer. Black forest cake is a traditional cake made with layers of chocolate sponge cake, cherries or cherry jam and whipped cream and flavoring of your choice. Traditionally Kirsch is used as a flavoring.
- We made 800g of simple syrup, of which we only used a small portion for this recipe.
- As a temporary cake board, we simply mean to use a already-used, but clean cake board in order to continue working on the cake. Once the final coat of Chantilly cream is applied and is smoothed out, only then, transfer the cake to a new, clean, cake board.
- When using a spatula to smooth out the Chantilly cream, hold spatula at 90 degrees to the cake stand and slightly angled. Press onto the cake very lightly. Maintain the angle and position of the spatula while rotating the revolving cake stand.
- When the chocolate sprinkles are applied onto the side of the cake, that's when you transfer the cake onto the final, clean, cake board.
- To avoid wasting chocolate sprinkles use a temporary cake board that is of equal size to the cake or smaller. For example, if cake has a 10-inch diameter use an 8-inch or 10-inch cake board.
What you will learn from this lesson
- How to make Chocolate Sponge Cake
- How to make Chantilly cream
- Which type of cherries to use
- How to flavor the cake syrup
- How to cut even cake layers
- How to assemble the cake
- How to store the cake
More info on mixing methods or techniques used in french pastry
About our recipe tables
Sample recipe table
All the recipes in our course are given by weight and percentages. The advantage of having a recipe in percentages is of extreme importance. You can alter the size of the recipe to any size you wish, and most importantly you can make recipe comparisons to notice the effects of ingredients between recipes.
Key points when making Black forest cake
In this lesson you will be introduced to the following terminologies;
- Chantilly cream
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Maraschino cherries
- Bing cherries
Storing Black forest cake
Once the cake is assembled, freeze it immediately over night. Next morning, once the cake is frozen, you may gently wrap the cake in plastic wrap, avoiding to damage the rosettes on top. If the cake is not to be sold, once frozen, you may cut it into pieces (as shown in photo above), but leave the pieces attached to each other. Gently wrap the cake in plastic wrap. If you have guests, allow the cake or individual cake pieces to thaw in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Black forest cake can be frozen for several weeks in the freezer if properly protected from frost.
To have the best tasting cake, make sure you taste the syrup that you will use on the cake before applying it to each cake layer. Whatever you add to it, it does not matter, but, once you taste it, it should be amazing. Adjust the ingredients accordingly.
What is your cost of making Black Forest cake
If you would like to know what your cost is to making Black Forest cake, please follow this link.
Please follow this link in order to view our recipe and step-by-step video instructions on how to make the perfect Black forest cake every time.