Pastry FAQs Letter M
- Q4. Macerate - What does macerate the strawberries mean?
- Q6. Maraschino cherries - What is the cost of one maraschino cherry?
- Q7. Marzipan - What is Marzipan and what is it used for and what is the difference between almond paste and Marzipan?
- Q5. Masking - When masking a cake, do you mask the sides first or do you mask the top first?
- Q1. Meringue consistency - What does it mean when it says to beat the egg whites to meringue consistency?
- Q2. Millefeuille cream - What cream is used in millefeuilles?
- Q3. Mise en place - What is mise en place in french pastry?
- Q8. - QUESTION 8?
- Q9. - QUESTION 9?
- Q10. - QUESTION 10?
A1. Beating the egg whites to meringue consistency means to beat the egg whites with the sugar to stiff peak which looks pretty close to the consistency of italian meringue at stiff peak.
A2. The cream used in millefeuille is a mixture of pastry cream that is lightened with whipped cream.
A3. Mise en place is measuring and putting all the ingredients on the table and having them ready for recipe execution.
A4. Sprinkling sugar on the strawberries, and leaving them in the fridge over night (covered in plastic wrap), is referred to as macerating the strawberries. The sugar extracts the juices from the strawberries and combines with the sugar, giving you a liquid that is sweet and full of strawberry flavor.
A5. Once you fill all the layers with the buttercream filling, you mask the top of the cake, followed by masking the side of the cake with the buttercream that is overflowing out of each cake layer. Once the side is done, add additional buttercream all around the side of the cake, if the sponge cake is visible. At this point take off all excess buttercream from the top edge by scraping inwards towards the center of the cake, using a spatula. Use a decorating comb for the side (optional) and then smooth out the top for the final time.
A 4L plastic container of Maraschino cherries (cerises rouges au marasquin) costs $19.99 (as of Apr 2015). Having the liquid removed and weighing the cherries, the cost of one maraschino cherry with stem is about 6g. For latest price of Maraschino cherries, see our costing auto-calculations page.
A7. Marzipan is used in cakes and other baked goods. Marzipan is often used to create various figurines, and also fruits and vegetables to be used as cake decorations. Almond paste has a more fluid texture and it is used in baked goods. Marzipan is much firmer and it is used as a filling for chocolate bonbons and can also be used to cover up a cake, sort of like rolled fondant.